Corona Virus or Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) is a collection of viruses that attack the respiratory system. The disease caused by this viral infection is called COVID-19. Therefore, Corona virus infection is also known as COVID-19 infection.
Corona virus or COVID-19 is a new type of coronavirus that is transmitted to humans. This virus can attack anyone, babies, children, adults, the elderly, pregnant women, and breastfeeding mothers.
The COVID-19 infection was first discovered in the city of Wuhan, China, at the end of December 2019. This virus spread quickly and spread to other areas in China and most countries in the world, including Indonesia. This has made several countries implement lockdown policies to prevent its spread.
Corona virus infection or COVID-19 is caused by coronavirus, which is a group of viruses that infect the respiratory system. In most cases, this virus causes only mild respiratory infections, such as the flu. However, this virus can also cause severe respiratory infections, such as lung infections (pneumonia), Middle-East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS), Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS), and even death.
It is suspected that the Corona virus was originally transmitted from animals to humans. But then it was discovered that the Corona virus was also transmitted from human to human. A person can get COVID-19 in various ways, including:
1. Accidentally inhale the droplets of saliva that come out when a person with COVID-19 coughs or sneezes.
2. Holding your mouth, nose or eyes without washing your hands first after touching objects that have been splashed by the saliva of a person with COVID-19.
3. Close contact with people with COVID-19, for example touching or shaking hands.
The Covid-19 virus can infect anyone. The effect will be more dangerous and even fatal, if it occurs in the elderly, pregnant women, people who have certain diseases (comorbid), smokers, or people whose immune systems are weak.
Coronavirus symptoms vary, ranging from the common cold to severe respiratory disorders such as pneumonia. Corona symptoms that are commonly experienced by those who experience coronavirus infection are:
1. High fever with chills
2. Dry cough
4. Runny nose and sneezing
5. Sore throat
6. Shortness of breath
Symptoms of the corona virus can get worse quickly and cause respiratory failure to death. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) symptoms of 2019-nCoV virus infection can appear from two days to 14 days after exposure to the virus.
Who is at risk of contracting COVID-19?
People who live or travel in areas where the COVID-19 virus circulates are particularly at risk of infection. Those infected are people who within 14 days prior to the onset of symptoms had traveled from an infected country, or who had close contact, such as family members, co-workers or medical personnel who treated patients before they knew the patient was infected with COVID-19.
Health care workers caring for patients infected with COVID-19 are at higher risk and must consistently protect themselves with appropriate infection prevention and control procedures.
How Can Humans Be Infected With COVID-19?
A person can be infected from a person with COVID-19. This disease can spread through small droplets from the nose or mouth when coughing or sneezing. The droplets then fall on nearby objects. Then if someone else touches an object that has been contaminated with these droplets, then that person touches the eyes, nose or mouth (triangle of the face), then that person can be infected with COVID-19. Or it could be that someone is infected with COVID-19 when they accidentally inhale droplets from an infected person. This is why it is important for us to maintain a distance of at least one meter from people who are sick.
Until now, experts are still conducting investigations to determine the source of the virus, the type of exposure, and the mode of transmission. Stay tuned for accurate and official sources of information regarding the progression of the disease.
How to Prevent Corona Virus Transmission?
Some ways that can be done to prevent the transmission of this virus are:
1. Provision of the Covid-19 Vaccine which is currently running in Indonesia
2. Maintain health and fitness so that the body's stamina remains excellent and the immune system / immune system increases.
3. Wash your hands properly regularly using soap and water or an alcohol-based hand rub. Washing hands thoroughly in addition to killing viruses that may be on our hands, this action is also one of the easy and inexpensive actions. About 98% of the spread of disease comes from the hands. Therefore, maintaining hand hygiene is very important.
4. When coughing and sneezing, cover your nose and mouth with a tissue or the inside of your upper arm (not your palm).
5. Avoid contact with other people or traveling to public places.
6. Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth (triangle face). Hands touch many things that can be contaminated with the virus. If we touch our eyes, nose and mouth with contaminated hands, the virus can easily enter our body.
7. Use the mask properly to cover your mouth and nose when you are sick or in public.
8. Dispose of used tissues and masks in the trash properly, then wash your hands.
9. Postponing travel to areas/countries where this virus is found.
10. Avoid going outside when you feel unwell, especially if you have a fever, cough, and difficulty breathing. Immediately contact the nearest health workers, and ask for their help. Tell the officer if in the previous 14 days you have traveled, especially to an infected country, or have been in close contact with people who have the same symptoms. Follow directions from local health officials.
11. Always monitor the progress of the COVID-19 disease from official and accurate sources. Follow directions and information from health workers and the local Health Service. Information from the right sources can help you protect yourself from the transmission and spread of this disease.