Vaksinasi Gotong Royong  (VGR) is currently being carried out by businesses in Indonesia. A number of companies that are members of the Indonesian Chamber of Commerce (KADIN) have also been vaccinated against Covid-19 through this VGR mechanism since Last May 2021.

One of the goals of the VGR program is to assist the Indonesian government in accelerating the process of administering the Covid-19 vaccine to the community, and accelerating the realization ofHerd Immunityin Indonesia.

Maybe some people still don't know much about Herd Immunity. Let's look at the explanation of Herd Immunity :

Herd Immunity

One of the advantages of immunization is its ability to form community immunity or herd immunity. Herd Immunity, or 'population immunity', is a concept that says that a population can be protected from a certain virus if a certain threshold of immunization coverage is reached. Herd immunity is achieved by protecting people from the virus, not by exposing people to the virus

Vaccines train our immune system to produce what we know as antibodies. The emergence of these antibodies is the same as if we were exposed to a disease, but the important difference is that the vaccine works without making us sick first. People who have been immunized are protected from the disease in question and cannot spread it, thus breaking the chain of transmission.

The percentage of people who must have antibodies to achieve herd immunity to a disease will vary from one disease to another. For example, according to the World Health Organization (WHO) to achieve herd immunity against measles, about 95% of the population must be immunized, and the rest, (about 5%) will be protected. This indicates, because measles will not spread among people who are immunized.

Herd immunity is a condition when a certain number of people in a group/region have been immunized so that the majority of people in that area are protected from infectious diseases and have a low risk of infecting others. Including, transmitting it to people who cannot be immunized for certain reasons, such as having immunodeficiency diseases, such as HIV and Leukemia in chemotherapy.

The success of the vaccination program By Applying Herd Immunity

In 1980 the world had stopped smallpox immunization fire, because there is no longer a case of smallpox fire in the world, including Indonesia thanks to immunization efforts undertaken since 1956. Herd Immunity most appropriately used in the practice of vaccination. When a population gets high vaccination coverage it means it can protect a minority group that is not infected.

COVID-19 Herd Immunity Threshold

To achieve herd immunity, the minimum limit must be achieved first. This minimum limit means, people who must be immune to infection in a community. If the proportion of people who are immune has exceeded the threshold, the outbreak will be successfully stopped.

The minimum limit factor for the formation of herd immunity depends on the ability of a disease, it can spread from one individual to another or known as Basic Reproduction (RO). In the case of the spread of Covid-19, this virus is able to infect 2-3 other individuals, so by calculating the herd immunity threshold of 1-(1/RO) 1-(1/3) the figure is 50-67%. This figure means that at least 50-67% of the population in Indonesia must receive the Covid-19 vaccine so that herd immunity can be achieved.